When I last mentioned the library, in February 2009, I was stripping six layers of wallpaper.  By April, we had cleaned the walls, patched the plaster, and painted.  Robert put in the oak shoe molding.  It took a while to determine how to reconstitute the bookshelves he had built to be portable, for our second house, since we discovered in moving out of our first house that the bookshelves he had built there couldn’t get out the door.  Finally, they were up and the books unpacked, some time in May.  We put all the stereo equipment, our file server and network router, and the CDs, vinyl, and tapes (yes, I know) in the closet, which still has room for coats, and Robert ran speaker wires under the floor.

This room was probably the worst in the house.  The carpet appeared to do from the 50s if not earlier, the wallpaper the same, and there was water damage on the outside wall.  It was piled with boxes and trash bags three deep when we looked at the house.  Here are the inspection pictures:

Library Before

Library Before

Library Before

And here it is when we took possession:

It cleaned up real nice.  Someday, I’ll get around to reupholstering or slip covering the sofa and chairs, and recaning the pair of oak chairs we picked up at Sisters Antiques in Flatwoods.

Library After

Advertisements