OK, one of you reminded me I didn’t let y’all know how it turned out – sorry – I appreciate that y’all are thinking about me and I shouldn’t have let you worry.The dye test took 20 minutes – the bureaucracy leading up to it meant I was there for over two hours :-) There went the morning. I went for my followup shot that afternoon, and persisted in asking about the results until they tracked them down. They were fine – no leak – so my doctor wanted to give me that last hypo that they had stopped. It seems to be rare, expensive, fragile stuff, and they don’t keep it on hand. So we waited for it to be delivered in a taxi. There went the afternoon – for a 5-minute shot and a 10-minute infusion. I plead mental distress and exhaustion-from-waiting for not letting y’all know.

Today went great – I was in and out in less than 2 hours and nothing bad happened, except my white cells are way down – the first time *ever* any of my blood counts have not been at least low normal. I am really bummed, since I’m getting on a plane, one of the great spreaders of everything, next week. Talk about Murphy. Maybe the white cells will have recovered. If not, I’m already equipped with masks, and I’m planning to get a giant bottle of waterless hand wash. I went to work this afternoon and practiced opening doors and pushing elevator buttons with my elbows.

Which reminds me of two studies (no, three) I’ve seen recently. First, they did a study to see what cleaned hands best – they put people’s own germs on their fingers, and then cleaned them with hot water and soap, waterless cleaner, and plain water as a control. Guess what cleaned best? The researchers were amazed to find plain water removed more germs – and have no theory as to why. I always hated restroom liquid soap – the scent is always wrong.

Second, they did a study of the timing of the annual flu season after 9/11, when Americans weren’t flying nearly as much. It was delayed here, but not in France and other countries where flying didn’t drop off.

Third, and maybe scariest, they put a bunch of people with colds in motel rooms overnight and then tested the surfaces after the rooms had been cleaned. Most surfaces, including non-obvious things like the pens, had cold germs on them. They then took cold germs, put them on surfaces, and had the person they took them from (researchers aren’t mean) spend the night in the room. They did indeed pick up the germs from the surfaces.

I work with some people who spray phones and won’t take mixed nuts from a bowl. I may be about to become one. Maybe I’ll travel with a giant bottle of Lysol – but wait – that’s a liquid and can only go in my checked luggage. Guess that goes for the hand cleaner, too. Rubber gloves? Y’all just visualize my white cells regenerating for the next week, please…